ANNOUNCEMENT: COMPETITION FOR THE ESTONIAN PAVILION AT THE 56th VENICE BIENNALE
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: 31 March 2014, 12 noon
The Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia announces a call for proposals for the Estonian pavilion at the 56thVenice Biennale (Biennale di Venezia). The Venice Biennale is the world’s oldest and largest international art forum. Estonia has participated in the event with a pavilion since 1997. The organizer of the Estonian exhibition is the Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia.
The entries we are seeking should be carefully conceived contemporary art exhibition proposals that include a clearly expressed exhibition concept, a sketch of the spatial solution, production budget, work plan, catalogue concept and description of the content, communication plan and approved list of working group members.
Terms and conditions for participation
Proposals may be submitted by the curator (or curators) with an artist or artists, or vice versa. The exhibition project must have a curator.
One of the individuals submitting an application must be an Estonian citizen or resident.
The deadline for developing the exhibition concept and submitting, in writing, the corresponding draft (at least 3,600 keystrokes) is 31 March 2014 at 12 noon. All of the materials must be submitted to the Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia.
I Evaluation criteria
Proposals must include:
1. Budget and technical specification for the art project.
- overview of materials and equipment needed for the project – i.e. forecast of exhibition production costs;
- budget calculation based on actual price estimates.
NB! A total of 10,000 euros is available as an appropriation from the state budget for production costs (production of the works to be displayed, purchase of installation materials and exhibition supplies, equipment hire or purchase etc). If the project budget exceeds these limits, we ask that a plan for additional funding also be submitted.
2. Exhaustive list of names of all artists, curators, designers and catalogue co-authors who would be the competition beneficiaries should the submitted project be selected. In addition, CVs for all of the participants in the project and a short overview of the contribution of each participant to the exhibition project.
3. Work plan for executing the project.
4. A spatial concept for the exhibition as detailed as possible.
II Legal relations
1. CCAE is the representative of the Estonian exhibition at the Venice Biennale and in charge of arranging the organizational and technical side of the exhibition.
2. The relationships between the curator, artist and CCAE shall be set forth in a corresponding contract in which the rights, responsibilities and obligations of each party shall be specified.
3. The competition is public, meaning that all participants will, upon the presentation of the selected project, sign a consent form confirming their participation in the project. Only the winner of the competition shall be announced, and the other projects shall remain confidential.
Applications received will undergo an initial verification within three business days of the deadline, and if necessary the submitters will be asked for additional materials or further clarifications to submitted materials within two business days of the forwarding of the results of the verification to the application submitter.
We advise that applications be submitted for preliminary consultations with time to spare before the deadline and for making changes and improvements in a timely manner.
From the applications received and deemed as conforming to the competition conditions, the CCAE board and director, Ministry of Culture representative and two foreign experts working in the international art world shall, during April 2014, select the winning entry. The winning entry will be publicly announced in the first half of May.
The 56thVenice Biennale will take place from 9 May to 22 November 2015.
Questions and additional information:
Maria Arusoo, commissioner of the Estonian pavilion at the Venice Biennale
Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia
Vabaduse Väljak 6
tel. 631 40 50